EDINBURGH AT CHRISTMAS

There is something fantastic about the setting of Scotland's capital city. Hemmed in by the Pentland Hills to the south and the waters of the Firth of Forth to the north, Edinburgh is an extraordinary urban centre. For my graduation in July 2018, my fantastic boyfriend got us an Airbnb in December for all the Christmassy vibes and also for our anniversary. We were there for four PACKED days and I'll tell you my favourite things now...


The Royal Mile, so called because it covers roughly a mile between Edinburgh Castle and reaches down through the city centre towards Holyrood Palace (the Scottish Residence of Elizabeth II). A stroll down this main road, listening to the bagpipes and entering all the small shops which line its two sides is simply one of the best things to do in the Scottish capital.

From here you can wonder the streets and find many fantastic, beautiful places!

Tollbooth Tavern is the most beautiful pub I think I've ever seen. We didn't get the chance to go inside, sadly, but just look at how stunning it is...


The cutest little fudge shop...


Miss Katie Cupcake and Cockburn St...


Victoria Street is supposed to have been the inspiration behin Diagon Alley. The colours are just stunning and I would LOVE to see this place in the Spring.



This little pub is Greyfriars Bobby. Bobby was a Skye Terrier who spent 14 years guarding the grave of his owner until he died himself. It is good luck to rub his nose.





The most visited attraction in Edinburgh is its castle, which sits atop of an extinct volcano on Castle Rock. Fabulous views of the castle can be seen all around the city and it overlooks the Christmas market too. My favourite spots were: The Vennel and The Parish Church of St Cuthbert.





You can’t spend a weekend in Edinburgh and miss out on its prettiest attraction, that of Dean Village. Picturesque and hidden away, Dean Village is well worth a visit on any trip to Edinburgh, even a short one! First constructed to house mill workers, by the 20th-century, most of the mills of Edinburgh had closed down. Today the village is a quiet slice of the city and a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of busy city life.



With incredible views onto Edinburgh and beyond (as well as a great, yet fun, workout) I highly recommend a hike up Arthur’s Seat for any first time visitor to the city.








Calton Hill was another fun spot for fabulous views of the city.


We kept saying- with every restaurant, cafe or bar that we went in- that Edinburgh is the best place for food and drinks. Our favourites were:

Hoot the Redeemer: you walk down some steps, where you are greeted by an antique fortune teller (which is actually the door), then as you step into the quirky bar there are old fashioned arcade games and fantastic decor all around. The drinks were fantastic and mine actually lit up.



The Dome: this was extra special due to the face that we went during the Christmas period- it was stunning!




Cuckoos Bakery: okay now this place was incredible. The cakes were just perfect and the staff were super lovely. I want to go back here every season just to try their different seasonal cupcakes... the Halloween ones look amazing!


Lioness of Leith: I am not even a burger fan, but the burgers here were just FANTASTIC!! I had a halloumi burger, but I did try some of Kristian's and it was some of the best meat I have ever tried. We actually stayed in an Air BnB in Leith, so this was in a perfect location for us.

Sheep Heid Inn: we popped in here after our walk of Arthur's Seat to have some well-earned gins, cider and a roast. It was impressive, I'm not going to lie. I had the lamb which was perfect, I would highly recommend. And I tried some raspberry gin, which again I would suggest you to try if you ever go. Sheep Heid Inn is the oldest pub in Edinburgh and has an old bowling alley, which I think would be fab for a cute evening with friends and alcohol.

Pappii: this was our favourite place for brunch and also the cheapest. I seriously wish I lived in Edinburgh so I could try all of these places full menus.

Deacon Brodies Tavern: this was my favourite place to eat out of them all. I decided, on our last day, to try haggis, neeps and tatties which to my surprise I absolutely loved.




We couldn't go to Scotland without trying a Battered Mars Bar. I have had many-a Battered Mars Bar and I love them, but Kristian had never tried one so it just had to be done.

As I previously mentioned, we went to Edinburgh during the Christmas period which meant that there was the market there for us to investigate. The food was INSANE, the stalls were so beautiful and the castle in the background made the event so idyllic. Kristian even went ice-skating for the first (and probably last) time.


Another Christmassy event that we stumbled upon was Christmas at the Botanics, which seemed super pricey at first but it was so worth it!


Let me know if you're planning a trip away this winter... I am all up for inspiration for Christmassy getaways! 

Be sure to have a look at my hashtags on Instagram for our travels:
#berzinstravel
#berzinsscotland

Love,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top