REEL VS REAL

Raise your hand if you've ever been (personally victimised by Regina George) scrolling through social media and thought "I wish I...

  • was there
  • looked like that
  • had a house like that
  • had clothes like that
  • was as happy as them"
Because this is something that, I am ashamed to say, I used to think daily.


I like my Instagram to be a reel of happy times... however, I also want it to be real. I don't always want to look back and remember how sad I felt at something, but I also don't want people to look at my Instagram and think I'm happy ALL the time (hi, yeah, I'm not)

As you can probably tell, this is an argument I'm currently having with myself.

I can't work out how to get the right balance of fun/happy/positive or just pure brutal REALNESS. Maybe it would be better to look back and think. "yes, I was sad then, but look at me now. Look how far I've come"... but do people actually want to hear me moaning on Instagram or do they use it as an escapism?

But where should we be sharing this brutal honesty? Should we even be sharing it? I come to Instagram as a way of escaping my (sometimes) stressful life. I see Instagram and Pinterest as a way to dream for my future (you all know how much I love planning)... I don't sit there comparing my life (well, I try not to) to others. I don't reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally want to come to Instagram and see people moaning and sharing sad stories (no offence), but I also appreciate the rawness and real-life, relatable things people share.

How do we get this balance right?

How do we stop believing everything we see online?

How do we stop THINKING OTHER'S LIVES ARE PERFECT WHEN NOBODY'S LIFE IS PERFECT????? 

Do I need to share allll my bad experiences for people to understand that I go through crap.... or do they just know?

(Because everyone goes though crap, just in case you didn't know)

My mum recently said to me, "you come to me upset from time-to-time, but everyone else sees you as this happy happy person online". I wonder if my mum being from a different generation considers me posting my happiness to be fake (maybe it is fake sometimes?! I don't know...)

I aim to always be happy. In fact, it's my biggest aim in life to always be happy and spread that happiness. I don't want to bring people down by sharing my negativity, especially when it's either so trivial or so personal.

Is this how it just should be or should we try share the low points in our life on social media? Or is that just not what social media is for?

I completely understand we wouldn't share ALL the sad things. For example, people always say to me, "oh, you and Kristian never argue".... ah yes, because I am just going to record our arguments and upload them to Instagram. No. We argue. He does my head in a lot of the time.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this as I genuinely can't get the balance right!

Love,


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top